TRAILS YOUTH INITIATIVES
Who are we?
Our mission is to challenge and equip vulnerable youth from at-risk areas of Toronto to become contributing members of the community. We teach them real life skills, practical knowledge as well as the confidence to use them.
Trails celebrated its 25th anniversary in 2017.
- Trails uses an Outward Bound inspired model at its 143 acre facility north of Toronto to expose city kids to an outdoor, hands-on real life learning environment.
- Our kids come from at-risk areas, from at-risk family situations with at-risk personal stories.
- Those chosen are deemed to have the potential, but not the support, to overcome the barriers.
- They are selected from five schools in the bottom 15% of the Toronto School Board’s Learning Opportunity Index. Their teachers believe they have potential, but the barriers are great, and support systems very limited for the odds to be in their favour.
- They commit to attend four years at Trails, two weeks each summer and one weekend per month October through to May, starting in Grade 7 and continuing through Grade 10.
- Our kids can accumulate up to three high school credits as well as 40 hours of community service.
- Over 90% continue on to post-secondary institutions, most on Trails' Bursaries.
- Our graduates grow up to be caring, contributing adults, with many purposefully seeking out ways that they can give back to their communities.
- Alumnae program to enable graduates to "give back".
Your participation and donations to the Trails Inside Ride Event will help our kids succeed, pay it forward and lead by example so that they as well as those they inspire have a chance at a successful, meaningful future.
Your Donations can Support
One Child - One Summer: $2,600
Our goal is to raise $65,000